6.28.2007

Nauvoo

We made it to Nauvoo on Tuesday. As we were driving across the river we could see the Nauvoo Temple up on the hill, it was beautiful! I just imagined what it would have been like for them when they crossed the river and looked back at their beautiful Temple that they sacrificed so much for. They had such faith. Here are a few places we visited...






Brigham Young's house. I was so excited about the inside of these homes that I forgot to take a picture of the outside!) In the top picture their is a doll behind the railing of the chair. They had the railing up when they needed to lay the babe down to rock it, and would take it off when they didn't need it so that others could sit. The next picture is of the kitchen. The cut out on the right is where they would bake their bread. They probably look down from heaven and are amazed at the bread makers we have today:)


Inside The Red Brick Store. This was Joseph Smith's office.

This is the meeting room in the upstairs of the Red Brick Store. This is the room that Emma complained of them always spitting their chew on the floor during their meetings. I am sure she was happy when the prophet received the revelation about the word of wisdom:)

Nauvoo was an awesome experience. All the stories I have heard came to life. It was neat to see how they lived back then and to imagine the feelings they had as they left their comfortable homes.

6 comments:

Mindful Mothering said...

Neat pictures! We were there right when they were starting to build the temple and I would love to see it finished. Wow - I am also so grateful for their sacrifice. I don't know if I would have been strong enough:)

*Katie May* said...

I love History!

Josh n' Meagan said...

Those pictures bring back so many memories. Isn't that rode the best when you come around the bend and see the temple? That is my favorite! And I have a bunch of pictures of the outside if you want them. Had to take them for a project. Just let me know!

Heather said...

The Nauvoo temple is beautiful.

Lydia said...

I want to go there someday. Did you by chance meet Bill and Phyllis Tanner there? There on a mission at the Nauvoo Temple. Did you get to go through a session? Sounds like a great trip, I'm glad you got to go.

Unknown said...

How wonderful! I would LOVE to be able to go back east someday & see all the church history sites! How awesome it must be!