2.10.2011

You Are Special...


I have not been on forever but thought I would post something I have learned recently...last night to be exact. :) I have had a heavy heart this week which spurred from a conversation I had with a lady on Sunday. We were talking about her 16 yr. old son who has Cerebral Palsy. She was telling me how at times he has struggled with his self esteem. He has made comments before about how he wants to be like all the other kids, not walking funny, struggling in school, talking different, etc... I felt so sad for him. Just like him, Conner's VCFS is said to create numerous possible problems and can be quite similar to his.
I don't usually dwell on the future challenges that can come Conner's way as he gets older with school etc. I think though that between the conversation and the diagnosis that his speech therapist just gave him on Tuesday, it once again was weighing on my mind. The therapist thinks he has Childhood Apraxia which is a motor speech disorder. Basically it means he knows what he wants to say but has a very difficult time programming and planning his speech. This will mean a longer term, more intense therapy between us and the therapist. I was feeling bad for him and the frustrations that this will cause him. But as I was having my boohoo moment I was reminded of a book that had been read during a presentation earlier in the evening. The book is called, You are Special, by Max Lucado whom I am sure many of you have heard of. It basically is about a wooden boy that lives in a village with all the other wooden people and for whatever reason they give each other dots or stars depending on what they feel they deserve. If they are clumsy or different etc. they run around town with a bunch of black dots all over their body but if they are beautiful and talented etc. they run around with the stars. Then he meets a girl named Lucia that does not have any dots OR stars and wonders why. It is not that she has not ever been handed one or the other they just don't seem to stick. She told him he needed to go see the wood carver everyday and then he would learn to do the same. So he finally gets up the courage to go and as he walks in he stumbles and falls and decides he is just going to leave. But right as he was leaving the woodcarver calls his name and he goes to him. The wood carver tells him that He made him and how special he is and that He would never make a mistake, that he was perfect just the way he was.
I was reminded from that story that no matter what challenges will come Conner's way he is up for the challenge, that though his body is not perfect God made no mistake in placing his spirit in his special little body. He knew that Conner could do it and I know that He will be there for him every step of the way.
Likewise I know that each of us were not given our challenges by mistake that though we live in an imperfect world we were perfectly placed right where we are. I know that Heavenly Father is very aware of everything we are feeling and the challenges that we go through. I know that we will be blessed with what we need at just the right time like the reading of that book. Because of His timing I was able to easily recall the story in my time of need...

8 comments:

Mandy said...

I always worried about Keenan and what he would be able to accomplish and he has had a very hard time socially up until this last year. he is in a better school and is doing very well and has LOTS of friends. he is even the student body president. I never thought he would be doing this well. you just never know. keep your head up and you are right, they are very special spirits and we are blessed to be thier moms:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Meagan said...

What a great story! That's amazing they can even tell Conner has that because he is still so little. He's lucky he has such a good mommy!

Colton said...

That was great! Thanks for sharing.

I also love that story. I remember encountering it for the first time on my mission in Canada, and then I bought it when I saw it at a used book store.

Mike and Linda said...

HI Sariah, I'm so thankful you wrote about that special book, I'm going to get one for us and for Dawneddie's family. I can only imagine how hard it must have been on you and your family when Conner was having all his heart surgeries. Uncle Mike had triple by pass open heart 3 weeks ago, and even thou I knew that he would be ok ( priesthood blessing) its still hard to see him in so much pain after surgery and while recovering. "God is good and he's brought us through more than we thought we could, God is good!"

Lydia said...

I've always loved that book. We gave it to our Young Women yeas ago. I work with an autistic boy this year. The kids are wonderful with him. One little girl always makes sure he is included in everything. There are several that go out of their way to help him and include him in their play or activities in class. Connor is a very lucky little boy to have you as his mommy!

Anonymous said...

Sariah, Mindy's youngest son has Autism. He is a handful. Cutest thing you have ever seen. Does not look like there is a problem. People who don't realize are hard on Mindy. She gets comments when they eat out etc. Everyday is a struggle. Your writings are so sweet. Mindy is a very special sweet person like you. I know Mandy is too. Heavenly Father must have trusted you daughters very much. Interesting the special things that happen through the sadness of a sick child. Easton has enriched our lives in so many ways! Love you, Joyce

Anonymous said...

That is a great story. I use it with my boys all the time, but you are right...it is a great reminder for all of us that we can do hard things. ;)

Mindful Mothering said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ~ that was a great reminder for me. I hope your beautiful little family is doing well. Sending love! :-)