I had my 20 week ultrasound about a week and a half ago and the technician found fluid around the babies heart. They sent us away saying it is not common but it may just be a fluke(ya right I thought) anyway what else can they do to help you not worry. I appreciated all the prayers, it definitely helped me stay ahead of my thoughts most of the time. They sent me to a specialist a few days later and it was confirmed that our little guy has a severe congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot. I will put a link at the bottom if anyone is interested in learning more details.
Basically he has 4 things wrong with his heart: 1.The heart has a wall that separates the chambers on its left side from those on its right side. The wall or septum prevents blood from mixing between the two sides of the heart. There is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the ventricles—the lower chambers of the heart. The hole allows oxygen‑rich blood to flow from the left ventricle into the right ventricle instead of flowing into the aorta, the main artery leading out to the body-2. There is a narrowing of the pulmonary valve and the passageway through which blood flows from the right ventricle to the pulmonary arteries. Normally, oxygen-poor blood from the right ventricle flows through the pulmonary valve into the pulmonary arteries and out to the lungs to pick up oxygen. In pulmonary stenosis, the heart has to work harder than normal to pump blood, and not enough blood can get to the lungs-3.The right ventricle thickens because the heart has to pump harder than it should to move blood through the narrowed pulmonary valve-4.This is a defect in the location of the aorta. In a healthy heart, the aorta is attached to the left ventricle, allowing only oxygen-rich blood to go to the body. In tetralogy of Fallot, the aorta is between the left and right ventricles, directly over the septum. As a result, oxygen‑poor blood from the right ventricle can flow directly into the aorta instead of into the pulmonary artery to the lungs. Basically not enough blood is able to reach the lungs and so oxygen poor blood is being pumped out to the rest of the body.
There are two different extremes one is called pink tet and the other blue tet. Blue tet is the more severe one, this is what our baby has. What this means is that he will be quite blue when he is delivered, meaning he is not getting the oxygen that he needs even now in the womb. Because of this he will be mentally slow and will require many services starting in infancy. We will head to Seattle to have a C-section when I am full term and then for 2-3 days they will evaluate him and then perform the first open heart surgery. The doctor feels he will need 2 if not 3 sugeries his first year of life.
I realize the road is not going to be easy. Sometimes it is overwhelming and I wonder how I can do this. A good friend reminded me that I won't be doing it alone that what I cannot do the Lord will be there to do the rest. I have already had experiences that have let me know without a doubt that He is aware of what I am feeling and He has succored me in many different ways.
We feel blessed to receive such a special little spirit into our home and feel so much love for him already...
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/tof/tof_what.html
17 comments:
I never could get this out in words to you cause I didn't feel like crying but I wanted to tell you that your little guy couldn't be going to a more special family then yours and I know he will be such a loved little man! Love You!
Josh and I talked about the same thing Katie mentioned. He too told me that you are the perfect person to raise such a special baby. We are thinking of you!
I agree with Katie and was thinking the same thing as her when you told me the news. You are a wonderful mother and such a strong person. I couldn't think of a better person to raise a little boy with special needs.
We will keep your family and little guy in our prayers. Please call if you ever need anything! Even if it is just to talk!
Love ya,
Heather
What a mixed bag of emotions. I wholeheartedly agree with everything everyone has said. You two are great parents and this special spirit will be joining one of the most wonderful families there are.
Holy smokes, they can tell all of that from an ultrasound!?? I can't even tell where the baby's face is most of the time...
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Worrying doesn't actually help at all. We'll be thinking of you! You might actually convince my heathen sister Tara to pray!
I was talking to a friend today and said basically the same thing as Katie did. You and Andy are wonderful people and the Lord has given this little guy to you! You are not alone and never will be. We love you and Andy and you and the baby are in our prayers along with the rest of the family! Love you bunches!
Oh, what a heart breaking experience to have to endure! I can't even imagine all the emotions you must be feeling... Just remember that the Lord knows EXACTLY what you're capable of handling (& what a blessing it is to know how much faith He has in you as parents)! I know it won't be easy, but your family will be in our prayers!
wow, you are such incredible parents to be trusted with such a special little boy. Heavenly Father knows you and what you can endure and has hand chosen the best parents He could for this little guy. Good luck, and like Colton said, don't worry, you already sound like you have a good idea on what's going to happen. Hang in there, you'll be in our prayers.
Amen to everything- Heavenly Father is entrusting you with one of his special spirits. We love you and are praying for you. Let us know what we can do to help when you guys come our way!!
We will keep him in our prayers. Just remember that Heavenly Father is watching over you.
EmmaLee
we are thinking about and praying for all of you!
Oh Sariah, I am in tears right now. Thank heavens we have the knowledge of the gospel. You are such a sweet mom and person. I am sure that Heavenly Father is giving you this special little boy for that reason. Your in our thoughts and prayers. Keep the faith!
Hey Sariah,
I was so glad to see your comment on my blog. I know we would love to get together with your family. It's really nice to know that there is someone close by.
Josh and I want you to know that we will keep you and your family in our prayers. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I know he has something very special in mind for you and your little one.
This is our home number 208-676-8616
Talk to you soon!
Like Katie mentioned, I too thought the same thing. And they say Heavenly Father doesn't give you trials you can't handle, even though I know it will be hard. Just think though, at least you don't have to worry about his eternal salvation since he get to go straight back to our Heavenly Father. You and your baby are in our prayers.
Sariah,
I love ya hang in there!
Leah
Thanks for bringing the family out and having so much fun with us!!! Larissa loves you and the family so much and says "there is something about Sariah that is amazing" :) We love you guys and on the bright side, check this link out!!! This is where you own property right? Who knows, this might be the exposure you need!!!
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-23486646
Sariah - just want you to know I love you and am thinking of you. Dorlene
Post a Comment