7.18.2007

Missouri





Next stop was Liberty Jail in Missouri. As you can see they had very thick walls (I think they were 4 ft. thick). I don't know if you can tell but there are loose rocks for "security" so that if anyone tried to escape the rocks would alert the gaurd, they had them on top of the roof too. As you can see the ceiling was not very high. If I remember right they were 6ft. high. One of the men was over 6 ft. and was not able to stand straight up for the 3 months they were there. He was never able to stand fully erect again. The only light they had was the slit you see above Joseph's head and there was one on the opposite side. With the wall so thick it was hard for the sun to shine through. I can't imagine being in there for 3 months! When he was having such a hard time he received D&C 121 and 122 from the Doctrine and Covenants. Heavenly Father said, My son, peace be unto thet soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment and if he would endure it well he would be blessed. Heavenly Father also told him that these things would give him experience and would be for his good. He received great comfort from this. Like everything else this was another neat experience. We also went to where the cornerstone of the Temple was laid before they had to leave Missouri.

No comments: